Today we are going to learn to Shop at Target and most importantly how to use coupons, correctly and effectively. I don’t know about you, but I know how to shop there… 🙂 Lots of good stuff to be found! But learning to coupon there is a different issue altogether!
First off, you will want to print their coupon policy and add it to your growing collection. Read thru it and try to understand it. Have it with you when you shop at Target, as your back-up plan. I am just going to cut & paste it in here and then will add some comments or explanations in red after each section.
They accept Manufacturer & Target coupons:
• Target accepts one Manufacturer Coupon (MQ) and one Target Coupon (TQ)for the same item (unless prohibited by either coupon).
•We reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon.
•Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon). (You can use 4 insert Q’s and other printable Q’s, as they are not “Identical”. There some MQ that limit you to 1 or 2 per person &/or transaction. Watch for those!)
•All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier during checkout. (You can’t come back later and say “oops! I forgot to use my coupons.)
• Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.). (Don’t use a M&M’s Q that states 9 oz or larger on the snack size.)
• Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied. (They don’t give overage. When your MQ is valued higher than the price of the item, they reduce the value of the coupon. Although this is a YMMV, depends on your cashier!)
• We can’t give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item. (They don’t give overage!)
• All applicable sales taxes are paid by the guest at the full value of the item.
• These guidelines apply to all coupons accepted at Target (Color Checkout Coupons, Internet Coupons, Mobile Coupons, Mailed Coupons, Coupons from Newspapers and Magazines, etc.).
Internet (print-at-home) coupons:
• We gladly accept valid Internet coupons that contain a clear and scannable bar code.
• We do not accept Internet coupons for free items with no purchase requirements. (Because of fraud!)
• Guests can receive Target Mobile Coupons by signing up for Text Alerts at Target.com/mobile or by texting COUPONS to 827438 (TARGET).
• Message and data rates may apply. See site for full details.
• To redeem, simply show your coupon barcode to the cashier. With one simple scan, all applicable coupons are applied. (Each mobile Q can be scanned only 1 time each!)
Buy One Get One Free coupons (BOGO):
• BOGO coupons cannot be combined (i.e. you cannot use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one Buy One Gets One Free coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout of which one item will be charged to the guest and the 2nd item will be discounted by its full retail price.
• A second cents-off coupon of the same type cannot be redeemed towards the purchase price of the first item. (EXAMPLE:
Purchase 2 Suave hair care items @ 3.50 each
use a BOGO Suave MQ AND use a .50 off 1 MQ= $3 for both.
They don’t allow you to use a BOGO Q on 1 item and another MQ on the 2nd item, so this scenario would NOT work.)
If a Target BOGO coupon is used, one additional manufacturer coupon may be used on the first item. (You can stack one MQ with a BOGO Target coupon. It will attach to the item that is NOT free.)
If a Manufacturer BOGO coupon is used, one additional Target coupon may be used on the first item. (You can stack one TQ with a BOGO MQ. It will attach to the item that is NOT free.)
•Returns of items purchased using Manufacturer Coupons may receive coupon value returned in the form of a Target GiftCard.
• Coupons are void if copied, scanned, transferred, purchased, sold, prohibited by law or appear altered in any way.
•We regularly monitor the Coupon Information Corporation (CIC) website for counterfeit coupons. We do not accept counterfeit coupons.
• We can’t accept coupons from other retailers or coupons for products not carried in our stores. (They do not accept competitor coupons!)
•Some items may not be available at all stores.
•We do not accept expired coupons.
•We do not accept Canadian coupons in our US stores.
Whew, now that that is over, we’ll get on to the other tips and tricks you need to know…
The best way to save at Target is to stack coupons. (Remember that stacking is using 1 MQ and 1 store Q on the exact same item) You can find Target coupons on their website– click on the coupon icon at the top right of the home page; in our Sunday inserts; and on your smartphone-if you sign up for them. Their coupons do state that only 1 store coupon (of a kind) per transaction can be used. So if you printed out two of the Revlon $5/2 TQ, plan on doing 2 transactions with 2 items in each one. (This is a YMMV, as some cashiers just want your transactions to go smooth and get over quickly. But be prepared to have them divided.)
- Target.com-To print a coupon from the Target site, select the coupon you would like to print. You will be required to install a printer application. You can typically print each one 2 times. They offer MQ and Target Q’s and until you print them you can’t tell which is which. Want a clue to assist you in that? MQ’s say “When You buy” and Target Q’s will say either “With Purchase Of” or only state the amount off. Just remember which is which and you’ll be good to go…
- Sunday Inserts- these come out throughout the year, but often are regional. Some areas or regions get them and others do not. If you don’t, you can always try a coupon clipping service. Sometimes it is a whole insert, other times it is just a few Q’s in one of the other inserts.
- Smartphone apps- these seem to come out weekly. Sign up at Target.com/mobile or by texting COUPONS to 827438 (TARGET).
Another great way to get a good deal is to make use of their Gift Card deals. They usually have 1 or 2 of these each week. Some times they aren’t worth the price of the ink and paper, but other times we have just the right coupons to apply and they make for a really good deal. I like to keep a $5 Target gift card in my binder for “rolling” purposes. ( I’m sure by now you know what that is, right??) Others prefer to spend them soon after, but I look at it just like ECB from CVS, RR from Walgreens or the Cash Card from CVS. I keep some of them around for the same rolling purposes. Keeps me ahead of the game each time I want to utilize one of those deals. The earned Gift Card cannot be used in the same transaction you earned them, however, they can be rolled into the next transaction. If you do more than one Gift Card Deal in a transaction you WILL receive both Gift Cards. (Maybe there is a Nivea GC deal and a Pampers GC deal. Both will work in the same transaction. Now if you wanted to do 2 Nivea deals, I’m pretty sure that they would need to be done separately.)
Target does price match, they call this their Low Price Promise. They do have some stipulations that go along with this tho. They will price match with a current sale ad, but not something printed from the internet. They do not match a “timed” sale (such as Black Friday). It must be an exact match- item for item. They don’t match any type of reward, such as RR or ECB from the drugstores. For a complete rundown of their policy, click on the blue link above.
They offer a 5 cent bag refund when you bring your own shopping bags. This should be rung up as a 5 cent per bag used. 5 cents is 5 cents. It all adds up! (And you are helping our planet!)
They do have a Catalina system. This means that you will occasionally get coupons that print out of the Catalina machine. These can be TQ or MQ. They are usually based on purchases that you just made.
My final thought for you is actually a warning. :-/ Be aware of the coupons that you used and the amounts that actually got entered. Target has been known to have issues with that. Especially on a coupon that is off of 2 items OR on mobile coupons. You can see the computer screen, so just watch as your Q’s are scanned. Don’t be afraid to ask for a Mgr. if needed.
Good luck with your Target shopping! Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you! Leave me a comment.
Target: 5 Tips To Bigger Savings For Working Families! Let’s face it, there’s a lot of working professionals, active families and busy moms that often don’t have the time to coupon so we put together a quick and easy guide to stretching your dollar at Target without costing you a lot of time. Just think, if you save just $10 per month with these quick and easy steps, you’ll have over $100 saved at the end of the year. What would you spend that extra $100 on?
5. Target’s Up & Up Private Label Brand – Target now has over 1,000 of it’s own Up & Up private label products. By purchasing Up & Up branded products you can save anywhere between 5%-60% off similar name brand prices. In many cases, that name brand product may secretly be the supplier for the private label product. If you’re looking for quick additional savings, you can always find these great Target Up & Up printable coupons at coupons.target.com/upup-coupons.
Printable Coupons – for those with a little more time, Target has lots of printable coupons. The best thing about Target coupons is that you can use one Target in-store coupon and stack with a similar manufacturers coupon for bigger savings.
4. Mobile Coupons ~ No clipping, no forgetting, no hassle! Get coupons sent to your smartphone and redeem them at the register right from your screen. You’ll always have the most up to date mobile coupons are your disposal while walking the store and mobile coupons also stack with regular clipped manufacturers coupons. Text OFFERS to 827438 to get started, you can also try texting “Coupons” and “Getcoupons”. For bay coupons text “BABY” to 827438. Over the course of the year, there will be other exclusive text offers to keep your eye out for. Text STOP to 827438 to cancel (you’ll receive a confirmation text and further instructions). You’ll receive up to 5 messages per month. Mobile web access required.
3. Target Clearance Sales ~ Most clearance sale merchandise is a bit of a treasure hunt at Target, look around the edges of the store and low traffic areas as noted by in Bloomberg Businessweek “How To Shop Target Like A Pro” by Sam Grobart. Also Target marks items down with percentages: 15%, 30%, 50%, 75% & 90%. Most of Target’s full price merchandise ends in a “9″, for example, $19.99. Clearance prices end in an “8″ for example 19.98 a “6″ or a “4″, for example, $9.94. The last time a product will be marked down end in a “4″. If you see something you want and the price ends in 4, you better buy it.
Also, Target marks down specific product categories on certain days, you may want to ask an employee at your local Target to confirm, but here’s is what has been widely disseminated by many current and former Target employees.
Monday: Children’s Clothing, Baby items, Electronics, Stationery, Office Supplies
Tuesday: Women’s apparel, Home Decor
Wednesday: Men’s apparel, Health and Beauty, Toys
Thursday: Shoes, Lingerie, Housewares
Friday: Cosmetics, Automotive, Hardware
2. Price Matching – Don’t be afraid to price match products, it’s your money, your time, your hard work. Target announced earlier this month that it will price match top online retailers year-round, including Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Bestbuy.com and ToyRus.com (including Babiesrus.com). Target stores will also price match items found on Target.com. If you have a smartphone, use your RedLaser app to quickly compare and identify prices online and in your area. For big purchases, like HD televisions, this could literally save you a hundred dollars or more.
Also save your Target receipts – If you buy a qualifying item at a Target store and then finds the identical item for less in the following week’s Target circular or within seven days on Target.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Bestbuy.com or Toysrus.com or in a local competitor’s printed ad, Target will match the price. Check the official Target Price Match Policy for further details.
1. Target Red Credit Card. You save 5% every time you use it, and if you shop online, the Red Card will get you free shipping. However, only use your Target Red Card if you have the discipline to pay it off every month. Credit card rebates and discounts are great, but only if you pay off your balance in full. Savvy shoppers can save a bundle of money annually by taking full advantage of all the special discounts.
Target: Seven (6) Bonus Money-Saving Tips!
- Download the Target Mobile App and be the first to find out daily deals & more!
- Shopkick App – Earn Free Gift Cards & Exclusive Target Coupons
- Sustainable Living: Save A Nickel ($0.05) On Every Reusable Bag Used!
- Don’t forget to sign up for Target’s Birthday Club and receive a special surprise each year!
- Free Samples: Always check here to see if Target is offering any very popular free samples!
- Social Media: Become A Fan at Target Facebook and watch for Promos, Freebies & Discounts!